Indian-Spiced Grilled Chicken | Eating Well
- 1/2 cup grated onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garam masala (see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Notes)
- Whisk onion, lemon (or lime) juice, oil, garam masala and salt in a bowl until well combined.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish or 1-gallon sealable plastic bag. Add the marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. Remove from the marinade and pat dry.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position a rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- To grill: Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side.
- To broil: Line a broiler pan (or baking sheet) with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the foil. Broil, watching carefully and turning at least once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 10 to 15 minutes total.