Living Without - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Holiday Gingerbread - Recipes Article
MAKES 20 SQUARESThis rich and spicy gingerbread is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream or nondairy whipped topping. It can be made egg free with good results.
1 cup light molasses
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, Earth Balance Buttery
Sticks or other non-dairy spread
2¾ cups gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
2½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
½ teaspoon salt
2½ teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¾ cup buttermilk or plain-flavored dairy-free milk of choice
¼ cup orange juice or orange-flavored liqueur
2 eggs, lightly beaten, or flax gel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch pan with vegetable spray.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine molasses, brown sugar and butter. Set over low heat until butter melts, stirring once or twice. Remove from heat and cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and spices. Whisk to blend.
4. Add buttermilk, orange juice or liqueur, eggs or flax gel and molasses mixture to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
5. Place pan in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Each serving contains 184 calories, 5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 34mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g protein.TIP To make buttermilk, add a scant 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or lemon juice to enough milk or milk of choice to make ¾ cup. Let sit for a few minutes (to curdle) before adding to recipe.