“Braised Pheasant Legs with Cabbage and Grapes”
8 pheasant legs
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup onion diced
2 cups cabbage, finely sliced
1 cup seedless grapes, crushed
¼ cup brandy
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon parsley, minced
Salt and pepper
1. Pat the legs dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Dust both sides with flour.
2. In a sauté pan, melt the butter until it begins to bubble. Add the legs, skin side down and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn over for about 1 minute, then remove the meat to a platter.
3. In the same pan, add the onions and cabbage and sauté until soft and brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the grapes and stir. Add the legs, brown side up and nestle them into the cabbage and onions.
5. Add the brandy and light with a match. Let the alcohol burn off and reduce.
6. Add the stock and cover with a lid partially and cook at a low simmer for about 1 hour, until the meat falls off the bone.
7. Finish with lemon juice and parsley and more salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe photo by Terry Allen.