Green Curry Shrimp
To make into a paste:
For making curry:
- Garlic- 5 cloves
- Ginger, fresh- 2 inch slice
- Cloves, whole- 4
- Cinnamon, whole- 2 inch slice
- Whole pepper corns- 5 no’s
- Cilantro, chopped- 3 stalks 0r 1/4 cup chopped
- Green chilly, chopped- 1
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Large Shrimp, deveined tail on- 15 no’s
- Onion, chopped small- 1
- Garlic, minced- 3 cloves
- Salt- to taste
- Green pepper, diced- 1
- Turmeric powder- 2 pinches
- Chill powder- 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste- small gooseberry sized soaked in 3 tbsp warm water
- Lemon grass, dried (optional)- 1 inch slice ( 3 no’s)
- Water- 1 cup
- Coconut milk, thick- 1/2 cup
- In a blender, grind the above mentioned “to make a paste” ingredients till it’s smooth.
- Devein and clean the shrimp under running water, if possible keep the tail.
- Heat a large pan and add oil, add minced garlic, fry it till it starts to turn golden in color.
- Add the chopped onion, salt and saute for a while.
- Add the ground paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Add green pepper, turmeric powder and chilly powder, combine well.
- If you are using lemon grass add that too.
- Now, pour the soaked tamarind juice without any seeds in it.
- Add water, let it come to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and cook covered till shrimp gets cooked well.
- Open the lid and let the curry gets thickened.
- Add coconut milk and heat for some more time.
- Serve hot with rice or enjoy as a soup.
- You could adjust the spice level by adding more of coconut milk or by not adding chilly powder.
- Vegetarians can add veggies like diced carrots, green pepper, red pepper, beans etc.