Silvana Nardone’s Cranberry-Gingersnap Magic Bars
Cranberry-Gingersnap Magic Bars
Prep: 10 min
Bake: 40 min
8½ ounces gluten-free gingersnap cookies, finely ground (1¾ cups), such as Glow Gluten Free
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350º. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment. In a medium bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter. Press evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes to set, then transfer to a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the chocolate chips, cranberries, walnuts, coconut and condensed milk. Spoon on top of the prepared crust and spread evenly. Bake until the top is nicely golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Cut into 16 squares.
1. Chop the chocolate from a bar instead of using chips.
2. Toast the walnuts for an extra-rich, nutty flavor.
3. Before cutting into squares, refrigerate for a more candy-like confection.