Chinese Dumpling - 饺子
A. Dumpling wrapper
- Same as tortilla wrap, but omit the butter http://shlau06.blogspot.com/2009/11/tortilla-wrap.html
- 3 cups self raising flour (can substitute by plain flour too, then it will become plainflour wrap)
- 1 cup boiling water (it has to be boiling hot, otherwise, you will go through the same failure as I do)
- 1 tbsp butter(optional)
- Pour hot water to the flour.
- Stir quickly with chopstick, the half cooked flour will resemble into chunky pieces of dough.
- Now, add cold water bit by bit, knead dough until it form a ball. It shouldn't be sticky at this stage.
- Cover the dough and rest dough for ~30min.
- Divide dough into 15pcs (depends on the size/thickness you like it to be).
- Use rolling pin to flatten them.
- Start frying using a pan. (Note: Must not use oil, otherwise it won't puff up nicely).
- Fry one side until you see some 'bubbles' puffing up and the dough slightly change to translucent, lift the dough to confirm there are a few brown patches/dots at the down side, flip them over. Fry for another 30 sec, again, lift the dough to check for a few brown patches/dots, then, it is done.
- Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Must use boiling water.
- Do not use oil when frying.
- Stack up all the tortilla wraps to maintain the moiture in the wrap so that it will remain soft.
Flour to water ratio is 3 : 1 , so you can actually vary the quantity of wraps you are going to make easily.
Try to substitute SR flour by plain flour, then it will become a plain flour wrap. It will have different texture. Tell me which one you like best.
- Same as Hamburger veggie combo meat patty http://shlau06.blogspot.com/2010/10/hamburger-veggie-combo-meat-patty.html
- 600g minced pork
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 bunch coriander - chopped
- 1 bunch parsley - chopped
- 1/2 cup plain flour/corn flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar(optional)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp 5 spices powder
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 egg
- Mix well all the above ingredients.
- Heat up the pan, when the pan is hot, add 1 tbsp oil.
- When oil is hot, add 1 heaped tbsp of the mixed minced pork, flatten it using a turner to a desired thickness.
- Fry both faces using very low heat.
- It is ready when both side are golden brown.